Saturday, February 26, 2011

Abroad in the wilderness

Today I had my first Greek outdoors experience.

You might think that an outdoors trip is less of a cultural activity than touring a well-known site, but to me, I feel that my time was not wasted at all. Sure, I wasn't on one of the islands, or at Mt. Olympus, but I had killer views of the city and the chance to observe the plants. We saw a couple of ancient monasteries on this hike, which were pre-Byzantine monasteries and have undergone renovation, but are still used today.

So we got our cultural fix anyway! But I am mostly blessed to have been through the Greek outdoors because of the nature of the outdoors itself. Especially in Greece! This is the land of the ancients, with more history than so many other countries can say for themselves, which defines the land now. Nature is the beauty of the world before humans decided to create their own beauty, and to me the pristine outdoors goes hand in hand with ancient times, as the base of the world as we know it now. To view a country in terms of its natural offerings is a very different way to see a country, and admittedly not a very efficient one, but I consider my time well spent.

And as promised, pictures:




And I KNOW I'm not in any of these...I'm working on that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment