Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Jet lag sucks, and free drinking water rocks!

The 10.5-hour flight was better than the 4-hour one. I managed to speak a few last Greek words to the people sitting next to me, and I bounced down the aisles to get some movement (until the "fasten seat belt" sign turned on again and the flight attendants laughed at me), and by the time we landed I was feeling kind of good, actually. But after going through customs at JFK and finding my gate, I felt like it was 11:00 at night, but the sun was out. I have been dazed and confused ever since. That was Sunday, and now it's Wednesday.

There have already been some moments of weirdness. One thing I had missed about America was the abundant presence of drinking fountains, which has been one positive re-entry occurrence. And I felt almost guilty for flushing the toilet paper instead of throwing it in the wastebasket. I also have had to feel around for the light switch because they're a lot smaller here, and I had to think about how to plug my computer in because the outlets have different sockets. When I walked into the grocery store in Phoenix I felt like I was in a metropolis of food...the size of the grocery store in Agia Paraskevi was the size of, like, two aisles in Safeway. And everyone speaks English. And taking the Greyhound from Phoenix to Flagstaff was, don't freak out when I say this, paradise. The bus driver talked to us to let us know what was going on, where we were, and made us feel comfortable. He said the bus would be stopping in Flagstaff, but go on through cities like Gallup, New Mexico, Oklahoma City...it gave me a feeling of wanting to go on a road trip around America...I've never been to the midwest or the southern states besides New Mexico.

In Robert's house in Phoenix I played so much piano, making up for four months of not doing it, that I actually hurt my hand a little. I also ate cereal like Fruit Loops and Rice Krispies, and some Reeses cups, things I hadn't so much as laid eyes on in Greece.

Now I am in Flagstaff. Fortunately the weather has not put me through any hell yet. My roommates are doing great, and they acquired some more furniture in our apartment, so it's very cozy and homey now. I have yet to get my stuff out of storage so that I can really unpack and use my room again, but I haven't found anyone with a truck yet, so it's slow going. I took a trip to Safeway today. I used to always use the self check out there, but now I don't want to. It felt good to have someone checking out my items and not yelling at me in a foreign language. I didn't go near the oranges in Safeway. I wonder how long it will take me to eat an American orange again. I'm also going to go on a massive search for feta cheese soon at the organic store downtown so I can make Greek salad for my roommates.

Someone asked me if it felt weird to be back. Yes, it does, I admit. I have figured out that I can't wear a watch right now. The first two mornings here I woke up too early and feeling like I was dying, even though I've been sleeping well. Every time I look at my watch I automatically add 10 hours and subsequently get headaches. So no watches until after the jet lag.

It is definitely weird to think that just a few days ago I was walking down the street outside my apartment in Greece...and now I'm halfway around the globe from that street. Upon pulling into Flagstaff on the Greyhound I was hit by memories of Robert, of shopping at Safeway, of riding my bike downtown for the art walks...it's strange to be back in this familiar place after such a trip.

For the next couple of weeks I plan on taking it slow, settling back in, unpacking, and living in more luxury than I've lived in for four months. I'll be writing one more time in the next week, so keep reading. Like I said, I'm still a little dazed and confused, so I'll want to have a more clear-headed reflection about Greece when my strength is back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment