Sunday, April 10, 2011

I have traveled to the center of the world

This is a picture of the center of the world:

 Zeus released two eagles, and they met here, in the mountaintops of Delphi. Now I think that our excursion yesterday was to the prettiest places I've seen here. It was really nice to get out of the city life and see that part of another country that one tends to neglect when touring: the outdoors. And where better a location for the center of the world?



I wish we could have stuck around longer. I would have greatly preferred a camping trip, actually. My dad tells me that the oracle at Delphi was discovered when a farmer herding his goats saw one goat fall into a hole in the ground. The oracle became a known destination for truth-seekers to go after the news that the goat had made some strange noises in the hole. The farmer must have thought that Apollo was speaking through the goat. The goat was replaced with a human named Pythia, whom travelers from all over Greece came to see. Archaeologists in later times discovered that it was psychedelic gas being emitted from the ground. Still, though, according to Greek mythology, Pythia predicted many many things that would happen and did happen. If I could go on a camping trip here I would wait for some prophetic gases to blow my way in the wind and then ask how to cure insomnia.

After the archaeological tour, we drove to the nearby ski resort town of Arachova. What is it about ski resort towns that are so cute? That they're small, to the point, have great views, and have the nicest people?

A lesson I have been taught by now is not to set my expectations TOO high. Just like the last excursion to Nafplio, there was some rushing. So even though out of the three excursions that study abroad has planned for us, Delphi had excited me the most, I remembered that it wasn't going to be my perfect experience. Even the four-course meal at the end wasn't perfect, for some reason I was not as full as I was in Nafplio. But it's okay. It's all okay. Perfection is not what I was looking for. I'm totally fine with it. Maybe that's why I'm so bad at planning things, because I expect the place to show me a good time, not my plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment